How this extension works
Use this extension to add a highly scalable counter service to your app. This is ideal for applications that count viral actions or any very high-velocity action such as views, likes, or shares.
Since Cloud Firestore has a limit of one sustained write per second, per document, this extension instead shards your writes across documents in a
_counter_shards_ subcollection. Each client only increments their own unique shard while the background workers (provided by this extension) monitor and aggregate these shards into a main document.
Here are some features of this extension:
- Scales from 0 updates per second to a maximum of 10,000 per second.
- Supports an arbitrary number of counters in your app.
- Works offline and provides latency compensation for the main counter.
We also provide a Node.js admin sample implementation
Before installing this extension, make sure that you’ve set up a Cloud Firestore database in your Firebase project.
After installing this extension, you’ll need to:
- Update your database security rules.
- Use the provided client sample, the provided Node.js admin sample or your own client code to specify your document path and increment values.
Detailed information for these post-installation tasks are provided after you install this extension.
To install an extension, your project must be on the Blaze (pay as you go) plan
- This extension uses other Firebase and Google Cloud Platform services, which have associated charges if you exceed the service’s no-cost tier:
- Cloud Firestore
- Cloud Functions (Node.js 10+ runtime. See FAQs)