How this extension works
Use this extension to create shortened URLs from URLs written to Cloud Firestore. These shortened URLs are useful as display URLs.
This extension listens to your specified Cloud Firestore collection. If you add a URL to a specified field in any document within that collection, this extension:
- Shortens the URL.
- Saves the shortened URL in a new specified field in the same document.
If the original URL in a document is updated, then the shortened URL will be automatically updated, too.
This extension uses Bitly to shorten URLs, so you’ll need to supply your Bitly access token as part of this extension’s installation. You can generate this access token using Bitly.
Before installing this extension, make sure that you’ve set up a Cloud Firestore database in your Firebase project.
You must also have a Bitly account and access token before installing this extension.
To install an extension, your project must be on the Blaze (pay as you go) plan
- You will be charged a small amount (typically around $0.01/month) for the Firebase resources required by this extension (even if it is not used).
- This extension uses other Firebase and Google Cloud Platform services, which have associated charges if you exceed the service’s free tier:
- Cloud Firestore
- Cloud Functions (Node.js 10+ runtime. See FAQs)
- This extension also uses these services:
- Bitly. You must have a Bitly account and you’re responsible for any associated charges.