How this extension works
Use this extension to translate strings (for example, text messages) written to a Cloud Firestore collection.
This extension listens to your specified Cloud Firestore collection. If you add a string to a specified field in any document within that collection, this extension:
- Translates the string into your specified target language(s); the source language of the string is automatically detected.
- Adds the translation(s) of the string to a separate specified field in the same document.
You specify the desired target languages using ISO-639-1 codes. You can find a list of valid languages and their corresponding codes in the Cloud Translation API documentation.
If the original non-translated field of the document is updated, then the translations will be automatically updated, as well.
Multiple collections for translations
To translate multiple collections, install this extension multiple times, specifying a different
collection path each time. There is currently no limit on how many instances of an extension you
Multiple field translations
To translate multiple fields, store a map of input strings in the input field:
first: "My name is Bob",
second: "Hello, friend"
To translate text into multiple languages, set the
languages parameter to a comma-separated list
of languages, such as
en,fr,de. See the supported languages list.
Before installing this extension, make sure that you’ve set up a Cloud Firestore database in your Firebase project.
To install an extension, your project must be on the Blaze (pay as you go) plan
- You will be charged a small amount (typically around $0.01/month) for the Firebase resources required by this extension (even if it is not used).
- This extension uses other Firebase and Google Cloud Platform services, which have associated charges if you exceed the service’s no-cost tier:
- Cloud Translation API
- Cloud Firestore
- Cloud Functions (Node.js 10+ runtime. See FAQs)