How this extension works
The Vonage messaging extension allows you to easily send SMS, WhatsApp, Facebook Messenger, or Viber messages from your Firebase application using Vonage Messages API.
The extension adds a Firebase function that allows you to send a message from either the backend of a Firebase application, or from a client-side application while keeping your credentials secret.
Things you will need:
- Firebase cloud Functions must be enabled in your project’s console. The extension will need this to function properly.
- A Vonage API developer account. If you don’t have one, you can sign up on the Vonage Customer Dashboard.
- A Vonage application with messages enabled, and the associated application ID and private key. See the Vonage Developer Portal for information on configuring a Vonage application. The private key should be base64 formatted.
To install an extension, your project must be on the Blaze (pay as you go) plan.
- You will be charged a minimal amount (typically around $0.01/month) for the Firebase resources required by this extension (even if it is not used).
- This extension uses Firebase functionswhich has associated charges if you exceed the service’s no-cost tier:
- Cloud functions (Node.js 16+ runtime. See FAQs))
- This extension also uses the Vonage Messages API which has a consumption charge as well as some channel charges. See Pricing